Monday, January 27, 2014

Spanglish Paradise

"The people of Ecuador today have decided to save the republic, a republic of hope, in whose streets and green fields should flower dignity, hope, equality and happiness." 
Alfredo Palacio

South America has that extra gene of excitement deep within its nucleus.  Staring out from the cool of my ivory hotel tower I was able to luxuriate in the vibrant colors of the city without surrendering to its sultry fever.  But the sounds of city traffic permeated our bubble and reminded us that our gracious host Monica was on her way to collect us and drive us out to the coast.
"Hug your kids at home, but belt them in the car."
Author Unknown

We gratefully loaded up into the private minivan and enjoyed the  fantastic quality of the highways.



As we sped away from the city the manmade vista was replaced with a carpet of green.

A blonde driver is pulled over by a patrol car. 
The officer approached the driver’s door. 
“Is there a problem, officer?”
“You were speeding. Can I see your license please?”
“I’d give it to you but I don’t have one.”
“You don’t have one?”
“I lost it four times for drunk driving.”
“I see. Can I see your vehicle registration papers please?”
“I’m sorry, I can’t do that.”
“Why not?”
“I stole this car.”
“Stole it?”
The blonde says, “Yes, and I killed the owner.”
At this point the officer is getting stressed. “You what?”
“The body is in the trunk. You can look if you want.”
The officer slowly backs away and calls for back up. Within minutes, five police cars show up, surrounding the car. A senior officer slowly approached the car, clasping his half drawn gun.
The senior officer said, “Could you step out of your vehicle please!”
The blonde stepped out of the vehicle. “Is there a problem, officer?”
The officer responded, “Yes, could you please open the trunk of your car please?”
The blonde opened the trunk, which was empty.
The officer said, “Is this your car ma'am?”
The blonde said, “Yes,” and handed over the registration papers.
The officer, understandably, is quite stunned.
“One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving license.”
The blonde handed a license to the officer.
The officer examined the license. He looked quite puzzled. “Thank you. One of my officers told me you didn’t have a license, stole this car, and murdered the owner.”
The blonde replied, “I bet you that liar told you I was speeding, too!”
"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."
Pablo Picasso

The rainbow of colors increased as we crept into the outskirts of Playas.  The vibrancy resonated as we wound through the busy streets and then into the northern suburbs.  The gate guards bristled to attention on our approach to the compound, then softened slightly in recognition as we slowed and beeped our way through the open boom gate. 


The staff of our new home greeted us with smiles of welcome while we wandered around the tranquil paradise.  Our footsteps echoed on the terracotta tiles, this home was so much bigger than anything we were used to - I had pangs of agoraphobia.  Beyond the  deck, the bay offered several right handed pointbreaks in the distance.  Bathed in a balmy breeze, I knew this place would more than counter the horrors of the homeschooling ahead.  However, I have to admit the following morning the kids ran, yes actually ran, to get their books and begin their non-conventional education.   

"Children are the hands by which we take hold of heaven."
Henry Ward Beecher




Looking back as we took our first walk along the beach, I was amazed by the high stone walls. Contoured to the land and slanted for strength against the high tides, the engineering was outstanding.


"It is almost impossible to watch a sunset and not dream." 
Bern Williams

The staff here have little English, so ready or not my dream of speaking Spanish was thrust out into the Ecuadorian daylight. I tell the good folk here in francospanglish (with spatterings of German), that they are "mi Angels" and they smile and nod. I follow that unadulterated blandishment with "americano (fill in the blank) es loco" and end with an apologetic "perdon me rubia tonta". I have them laughing if nothing else.

"Hands that give also receive." 
Ecuadorian Proverb

Our marvelous hostess, Monica offered to take us to the "Super Mercado" only 5 miles away and we bit her hand off at the chance to do some grocery shopping.
"When people you greatly admire appear to be thinking deep thoughts, they probably are thinking about lunch."
Douglas Adams



The least we could do was offer to buy lunch afterwards. Perhaps the large statue in the middle of the room was an auspicious sign.

“More than anything, 
it was the blue dolphins that took me back home.”
Scott O'Dell

What with the dolphin statue and a Carl's Jr. this was all starting to feel like Santa Barbara. It was time to return to our homestead paradise and climb back up the stairway to heaven. 

"can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
your stairway lies on the whispering wind" 
Led Zeppelin

It had been a long day and I was ready to prolong this Ecuadorian bliss in my dreams.   
"What is this realm of nirvana which leaves nothing behind?"
Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta

1 comment:

  1. Wow i love your blog mom and i wanted to comment to tell u this plus i am going to be the first comment on your blog

    ReplyDelete