Thursday, January 23, 2014

Rubia Tonta Rides Again

"Hi ho Silver, away!"
The Lone Ranger


The suitcase wheels echoed in our home, sparse of belongings and the knot in my stomach signaled imminent departure. But I didn't need the auditory and sensory cues, my emotions were already waxing bitter sweet along with the full pale moon. 

Everything had been stripped down to the bare essentials including my sentiment. The possessions were easily packed away, the real treasures were the relationships and I would be carrying those with me.  The bonds of friendship had been intensified by the leaving process.  I hoped that my compadres understood the pull of the wanderlust and my bucket list of dreams.  I had almost swallowed that bitter pill of goodbye and I was trying hard to temper my melancholy mood with sweet thoughts of arrival.  

Perhaps that is why it is always so hard to sleep the night before a departure? Yet my family had no trouble snoring, they were unaffected by the moon beams pulling me awake. I should have been staring at the back of my eyelids not the computer screen.  Maybe a little laptop time reading of Ecuador would be the lullaby I needed? I tried to think back as to how we chose Ecuador for a 3 month destination. I couldn't quite identify the exact moment, which means I should probably just blame my husband.  Hopefully he had our life blueprint. But what if there was no master plan? Just a bucket list of destinations and ideas spouting out of a leaky pail and you simply have to keep pouring more dreams in, to keep a vortex of aspirations splashing around in there.  


Miramar Sunrise


"you dont know what you've got until it stops" 
Hard Habit to Break, Chicago. 

It was too late to question if leaving California was the right idea, the flight was in just a few hours. Our last task had been to leave the cars with a trusted friend, all that was left to do was leave. Oh and of course send wishes for a happy King day from a Queen stepping away from the USA.

"Just be yourself, sir. 
Whatever happens, they can't take that away from you." 
Coleman, Trading Places


A blonde walks into a bank in Santa Barbara and asks for the loan officer. She says she's going to Ecuador on a trip for two weeks and needs to borrow $5,000. The bank officer says the bank will need some kind of security for the loan, so the blonde hands over the keys to a new Rolls Royce. The car is parked on the street in front of the bank, she has the title and everything checks out. The bank agrees to accept the car as collateral for the loan. The bank's president and its officers all enjoy a good laugh at the blonde for using a $250,000 Rolls as collateral against a $5,000 loan. An employee of the bank then drives the Rolls into the bank's underground garage and parks it there. Two weeks later, the blonde returns, repays the $5,000 and the interest, which comes to $15.41. The loan officer says, "Miss, we are very happy to have had your business, and this transaction has worked out very nicely, but we are a little puzzled. We checked you out and found that you are a multimillionaire. What puzzles us is, why would you bother to borrow $5,000?" The blonde replies..... "Where else in Santa Barbara can I park my car for two weeks for only $15.41 and expect it to be there when I return?"

No comments:

Post a Comment